MY BODY / MY BATTLE by Jake Alfieri & Néstor Pérez-Molière
Extended to March 17th:
With the 40th Anniversary of the Longwood Arts Project upon us, Saturn’s Return is the fifth BRIO (Bronx Recognizes Its Own) retrospective featuring the works of twelve, 2017-2020 BRIO visual and media arts winners. Reflecting on aging, change, and growth, Saturn’s Return invites audience members to reflect on the self, community, and the world at large to provoke inward evolution. The exhibition is part of the 2021 season themed “The Bronx: Then and Now.”
The Newark Museum
SECOND SUNDAYS – Like a Goddess
Presented by Horizon Foundation for New Jersey
Sunday, March 11, noon-5 pm
March Theme: Like a Goddess
Celebrate Women’s History Month by engaging in activities inspired by women and goddesses found within our reinstalled gallery, Art of the Ancient Mediterranean.
- Experience contemporary storytelling in a musical improv performance and workshop referencing famous women of the Ancient Mediterranean.
- Learn about Roman Imperial Period hairstyling—as seen in Portrait Bust of a Woman—during an interactive presentation by hair archeologist, Janet Stephens. Then practice the techniques on a partner or mannequin.
- Honor the special woman in your life in an artmaking project utilizing 3D printing, vessels, and the visual vocabulary of glyphs created by visual artist, Cheryl R. Riley.
- Achieve immortality—like the ancient Romans as demonstrated by Portrait Bust of a Woman—by life casting your face, hands, or feet with artist, Jake Alfieri.
- Program also includes gallery tours; planetarium shows, including Skywatchers of Africa; and more.
The Newark Museum – Mediterranean Nights
Thursday, February 15, 6-9 pm
FREE Admission; Galleries open 5 pm; program begins 6 pm
Celebrate the Museum’s reinstallation of our Ancient Mediterranean gallery with artmaking, live music, dance performances, and in-gallery experiences fusing Egyptian, Greek and Roman culture.
· Dance to the global sounds of Libation’s DJ Ian Friday.
· Enjoy the “Mediterranean Nights Show” featuring the Egyptian tanoura dance, belly dance, and drumming by Yasser Darwish, Syrena Nikole, and Curtis Watts.
· Explore the history of Greek wine in a tasting session led by Tim Hirsch of Grand Cru Wine Consulting.
· Achieve immortality—like the ancient Romans as demonstrated by Portrait Bust of a Woman—by life casting your face, hands, or feet with artist, J Alfieri.
· Learn about and try your hand at Greek battle techniques as depicted in several vessels featuring Herakles aka Hercules. Led by fight choreographer, Rick Sordelet.
· The writing’s on the magnets for a hieroglyphic-inspired keepsake project.
· Guided tours of our newly reinstalled gallery.